Tesla Motors Inc. is an American automotive and energy storage company that designs, manufactures, and sells luxury electric cars, electric vehicle powertrain components, and battery products founded by the South African born Elon Musk.
On Thursday, 31 March, the Chief Executive Officer of Tesla Motors Inc. Elon Musk unveiled his new Model 3 electric car which attracted thousands of dollars of deposit from customers worldwide. Since the Tesla Motors Inc. don’t really do press realeases, Mr Musk has been sharing most of the Model 3 features on tweeter since the unveiling. This is no ordinary vehicle, its faster than any car in the world including other Tesla’s vehicles.
Here are some of the features Tesla disclosed for the Model 3
- The base Model 3 goes from zero to 60 miles per hour in less than 6 seconds. That’s faster than the entry BMW 3 Series and the Mercedes-Benz C Class, the leading cars in the compact luxury space.
- The car will be able to drive a minimum of 215 miles on a single charge, with options to upgrade to a bigger battery. Musk said the company will push for an even longer range on the base model between now and the car’s first deliveries.
- The roof is an almost continuous sheet of glass that stretches from the front of the car to the rear to give riders a sense of openness. The layered glass is designed to block UV rays and manage heat.
- All cars will come equipped with the hardware for Tesla’s Autopilot features and high-speed Supercharging.
- The Model 3 will have two trunks and more cargo space than any car of its size. A seven-foot surf board will fit inside the car, Musk said.
- The body is made of a mix of lightweight aluminum and cheaper steel, primarily the latter.
- Tesla’s signature touch-screen control panel will be flipped on its side and shrunk from 17 inches to 15 inches. It handles everything from navigation to speed.
- The traditional instrument panel under the dash is gone entirely.
- The car is designed to fit five adults comfortably, in part by pushing the front passengers forward to provide more legroom in the back seat.
- Rear-wheel drive is standard, with an option for dual-motor all-wheel drive.
- The number of Palo Alto, California-based Tesla’s high-speed charging stations will double by the end of next year to 7,200, Musk said. Slower destination chargers will jump from 3,689 to 15,000.
- Also by the end of 2017, the number of Tesla locations where people can buy or service cars will more than double to 441 worldwide.
Tesla Motors Inc. is expecting more cars in the coming 3 years. Since the first unveiling, Model 3 has received close to 300 000 reservations and counting each with $1000 according to bloomberg. this could go up to a million of pre-orders and Tesla Motors Inc. sounds ready for that. The second uncveiling will announced for exploring new features of the Model 3 such as their weird dashboard and not real steering.