The Ngobeni family can now sleep in harmony. This is after their house was burnt to ashes by faulty electricity connection in 2014 and they were staying in a tent until last week; gratitude goes to the Department of Co-operative Governance, Human Settlements and Traditional Affairs in Limpopo.
“Thanks to the department for building this house. This house will be reminding us of our late sister who died while living in a tent with my mother, my mother and my siblings lived in a tent for a long time which it even brought illnesses in the family.” Nyeko Ngobeni stated as he gets emotional.
Nonetheless, Ngobeni advices Greater Tzaneen municipality to help people who need help not to wait until death. He says the municipality took a long to assist them.
Happy Makatsa who is a widower to the deceased lady angrily mentioned the fact that the responsible people are not doing their utmost to help those who are in need. “That tent stayed long time as two years! Children were not settled in there.
“In the same tent, you cook, you bath, it’s a toilet, and can you imagine that? Our government should not service delivery when things are looking unscrupulous,” he went further “a person who died here was never a natural course but it was the tent, rain and it was winding,” said the widower “snakes was all over the place, she was killed by them not naturally.”
The event took place in Sasekani Village, Greater Tzaneen Municipality recently. MEC of COGHSTA Mme Makoma Makhurupetje was handing over a house to Ms Nyanisi Sarah Ngobeni an elderly woman aged 73 and her 5 dependents.
Ngobeni and her dependants, Blessing (18), Anzani (14), Modjadji (7), Nthabiseng (3), including their widowed aunt; Julia Hlungwani (52) currently live in a 4 roomed structure built with cement bricks on top of an old foundation. The walls have visible cracks and some window openings in the bedrooms are covered with rusted corrugated iron.
Prior to the current structure, the family had been staying in a leaky tent given to them by the Disaster Management division of the Municipality as a form of alternative shelter after their 5 roomed house was burnt down in 2014.
Ngobeni and her family currently depend on her pension grant as well as the Child Support grant of 14 year old Anzani. The items of furniture they possess are those they were able to salvage from the fire, which include a few mattresses, a stove, fridge, television, kitchen unit and dinette.