Security Guard salary varies depending on the role and responsibilities one performs.
It also depends on the institution you're working for. The industry is huge in South Africa, due to the country's high rates of crime.
Security guard plays a major role in preventing crime, theft and damage of properties in the country.
Let's dive right in.
Average Security Guard Salary
estimates the average salary for a security guard is R 5 659.00
The estimate is based on a research from over 1 168 salaries
submitted by Security Guard employees.
We have also gone an extra mile of asking friends working in the private security sector. They confirmed a R5 000 basic salary
to be the correct income for a security guard in 2019.
But again, this depends on the company you're working for and the area it is situated.
Well established companies pay way over that amount for salary. According to Indeed's estimation, companies such as G4S pays well over R19 000
See illustration below:
And of course, private security sector has different types of roles and levels of responsibilities.
Security officers with higher grades earn more than many others with lower grades.
So, in a year, a security officer makes about R67 908.00
It gets worse.
estimates the average pay for a Security Officer is R53,801 per year. This means, security guard salary per month would be an average of R4 483.00
With this kind of salary, you can't really make a good lifestyle out of the money. You have to pay for transport to work, buy home groceries and many other things - it's just very little.
Basically, you're just surviving.
Security guard tasks
Here's a list of tasks handled by a security officer:
- in the event of fire, a security guard will perform necessary duties to ensure safety of everyone in it the property
Theft and Damage of Property
- A security officer is responsible for guarding and monitoring the property using cameras and on-site guards.
Respond to emergencies
- A security officer is trained to respond to alarms and emergency situations.
- Guards will provide any information to guests and tenant regarding the site and surrounding areas.
- They will also help with parking enforcement. They will control traffic in parking areas to protect the property