Home Finance What’s needed when applying for NSFAS?

What’s needed when applying for NSFAS?


Applying for the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) is easy for potential students, as long as you have the necessary documents required. You can either apply online on their website or on-site at your chosen university or college.

NSFAS was established according to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme Act (Act 56 of 1999) and incorporated TEFSA (Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa). The NSFAS Act enables any student to apply for a loan or bursary from NSFAS, but allows the board to impose conditions, generally, or in respect of a particular loan or bursary. Such conditions include the use of the means test and the loan conversion of up to 40 percent of any loan as incentive for academic success.

What you need to apply for NSFAS?

Please note that in order for your application to be processed, you must provide a completed application form accompanied by all the supporting documents. You must write your identity number on every page of all of your supporting documents in order for your application to be processed. NSFAS will not be able to process applications without an ID number.

The following are the supporting documents required:

  • Copy of a valid South Africa green barcoded ID for yourself and everyone else in your family. If you are still under the age of 18 years or don’t have an identity book as yet, you can certify your birth certificate and apply with.
  • A letter from your employer or anyone in the family that supports you. They can provide recent payslips or letter of employment
  • *If your parents or the person who supports you or your legal guardian are retired, please provide a copy of an official pension slip or bank statement showing pension payment.
  • If your parents or the person who supports you or your legal guardian works as an informal trader, please provide an affidavit signed by them to confirm this employment.
  • Certified copy of a SASSA letter if any of your family members are receiving a social grant and are also contributing to your household income. This also applies to your legal guardian.
  • If you have indicated that a dependent in your household is a student, please provide proof of registration or acceptance at the TVET college or university for each dependent.

Please ensure that all the documents are certified and not older than three months.

For more information, please read the checklist on the NSFAS website.

NSFAS Contact Details

To find out more information with regards to the application process, kindly contact their call centre on 0860 067 327 to speak to one of their friendly consultants. You can also send them an inquiry via email at info@nsfas.org.za for more information. Alternatively visit their website at www.nsfas.org.za to read more and make online applications.


Use our online loan calculator tool